This is a 2 hour course of instruction that presents the basic elements of professional malpractice risk management. Doctors are exposed to what factors lead to claims of negligent/malpractice and what steps they can take to prevent acting in a negligent manner. Specific strategies presented include: improved doctor-patient communication, appropriate documentation, the use of outcome measures and maintaining ones clinical skills by using evidence based practice
COURSE OBJECTIVES: Learner will be able to:
1. Describe basic elements of a negligence case
2. Explain what duties are owed to patients.
3. Explain what standards of care are and how these standards change over time
4. Describe appropriate practice methods that reduce the risk of a claim of negligent practice
5. Describe common regulatory complaints against doctors of chiropractic